Tuesday 30 April 2013

Japan Spring 2013 Trip: Wrapup

Before I left Australia, I was doubting whether it would be appropriate to call this adventure of mine "epic". I usually don't like to hype things up and then suddenly not meet preconceived expectations. 

I can safely say, from the bottom of my heart, that the past three weeks have indeed been worthy of the title "epic". 


(some details edited to reflect only the Japan leg of my trip)

First, a few numbers:
  • Total discrete flights flown: 10 (includes my North American flights)
  • Total kilometers (miles) flown: 47770 km (29663 miles) (includes my North American flights)
  • Largest plane type flown: Boeing 777-300ER (LAX-PEK, Air China)
  • Smallest plane type flown: Airbus A321 (MSP-LGA, Delta) (includes my North American flights)
  • Number of inflight meals eaten: 11 (includes my North American flights)
  • Total discrete Shinkansen (bullet train) trips: 25
  • Total theoretical value of all Shinkansen trips: ¥213980 (~AUD$2140)
  • Amount paid for the Japan Rail Pass: AUD$592
  • Shortest amount of hours slept in a proper bed: 1
  • Longest amount of hours slept in a proper bed: 11
  • Longest amount of hours slept on a plane: 4 (CA177 PVG-MEL)
  • Shortest time stayed in any one city (not including transport time): 5 minutes (Nagoya)
  • Number of different types of canned coffees drank: 22
  • Value of most expensive sit-down meal paid by myself: ¥5000 (AUD$50) (Mame-sushi, Kyoto)
  • Value of cheapest sit-down meal paid by myself: ¥280 (AUD$2.80) (Yoshinoya, Akihabara)
  • Number of pieces of wagashi (Japanese traditional sweets) eaten: 9
  • Number of ekiben (train bentos) eaten: 3
  • Number of bowls of ramen eaten: 8
  • Number of anime episodes watched: 28
  • Number of LODs watched: 4
  • Total number of photos taken with me in it (online): 68
  • Total number of photos taken: 5630 (includes my North American trip)
  • Total number of photos bought: 37 (+4 given as gifts)
  • Total live performances watched: 5
  • Total light sticks bought: 3
  • Number of different (pairs of) member's hands shaken: 20

Some "bests, worsts, mosts" etc. 
  • Best flight: CA984 (LAX-PEK, Air China). Newest and greatest plane, funky mood lighting (for Air China's standards), pleasant passengers (and best of all, no crying babies) and a good couple of hours of sleep. What more could you ask for for a red-eye flight? 
  • Best airport: Tokyo Narita International Airport (NRT Terminal 1). Slow security queues, but more than redeemed by its huge array of restaurants and shops, second only to perhaps Hong Kong.
  • Worst airport: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX Terminal 2). They call this an international airport terminal? It's comparable to Melbourne or Sydney's domestic terminals, and even the latter is larger and cleaner. Absolutely embarrassing. 
  • Best meal: Close call between the ramen bowls, but the tonkotsu ramen at らーめん二男坊 (at Ramen Stadium, Canal City Fukuoka) comes narrowly out on top.
  • Worst meal: I wouldn't call it the "worst", but this was the first time ever that I've had plain rice congee for breakfast when I'm not sick. Let alone as part of an inflight meal. 
  • Best hotel: Hotel Villa Fontaine Ueno, Tokyo. For a Japanese hotel with their typically small rooms, this one was great value-for-money. AUD$60 a night on average, clean and with good amount of space. Fast internet too. 
  • Best scenery: Mt Fuji at Lake Kawaguchiko, on a clear morning with the sakura blossoms everywhere.
  • Best transport system: Tokyo. Don't like the Osaka subway smell and Fukuoka is a bit sparse and requires buses to get around most places (not that that's a bad thing per se). Nagoya's is actually pretty decent though, but can't beat Tokyo's modern feel and cutthroat efficiency. 
  • Most memorable live performance: As soon as I watched my first AKB48 theater performance (Kenkyuusei stage), I knew it was going to hold a special place in my heart.
  • Longest queue: Lining up for SKE48 concert goods at Nippon Gaishi Hall. 1 hour from the back of the queue to the front. (Yes, this is apparently "normal" but I've had a relatively good run with queues as of late).
  • Best headphone demoed: STAX SR-009. The most revealing and detailed headphone I have ever had the pleasure to try out with my music, and it was simply too good for my music selection. And at AUD$3700, also the most expensive.
  • Most non-Asian visitors in one location: Hiroshima and Miyajima Island (the floating torii gate). So many Aussies that day (let alone Americans and Europeans), I think I ended up using more English than Japanese. 
  • Most Asian visitors in one location: Ueno Park. I lost track of all the Chinese visitors I saw there.
  • Most expensive single item purchased: SKE48 Request Hour 2012. 


After so many different experiences, cities, parks, food/drinks and so much goods purchased, if I had to rank my top 5 moments during this trip:
  • 5) HKT48 2-Shots photo event at Marine Messe, Fukuoka. Meeting members is one thing. Taking photos with them is on a completely different level. Had an absolute blast of a time, and I suppose this is already a rarity in itself, especially when HKT48 starts to become even more popular.


  • 4) Sand and water bathing at Takegawara Onsen, Beppu. One of the most unique yet refreshing, relaxing and therapeutic sessions I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Perfect after days of walking. 


  • 3) AKB48 Kenkyuusei (trainees) stage performance at AKB48 Theater, Akihabara (Tokyo). At last, I can say I've finally watched a theater performance at the revered theater. Twin pillars, seven pink ribbons, and the stage. And boy, was it truly special. Members buzzing with youth and energy; by the time the opening song came up (Shonichi), my eyes were starting to be a bit wet. 


  • 2) Mt Fuji during the spring time, Lake Kawaguchiko. Perfect morning cure after only one hour of sleep. Sakura blossoms everywhere and Mt Fuji as clear as day, with not many people around. This was the only real opportunity I had throughout this trip, that I could manage a clear view of a snow-capped Mt Fuji. My most picturesque moment and one of my major (life?) goals for this entire trip. Finally accomplished. 


  • 1) AKB48 handshake event at Makuhari Messe, Tokyo. If there was any single defining moment that would make this entire trip "epic" for me personally, this would be it. Meeting the members - those that you follow online, listen to and watch media of - in person was special enough already. Having your oshimen (i.e. Akarin) actually (and excitedly) remember you from a fan letter and small present you sent them over a month ago, telling you she liked it, complimenting you and then having a nice short conversation... well, it was beyond special, and I never really even asked for it. The precious moment lasted for a mere 50 seconds, but not only did this make my personal fandom "complete", it (and the rest of the day) was enough to make the entire 1.5 month trip worth every cent. 

Finally, I can start my next stage in life. Full time employment. Knowing that I've squeezed out every minute and cent of this trip's worth, and knowing that I've accomplished my major scenic, food and entertainment/pop cultural goals I have always wanted to achieve since planning this trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment