Saturday 11 August 2012

Thinking about songs

I think this needs to be said, just to clear things up once and for all, because certain people exhibit a clear lack of understanding as to how I think about things and form an opinion, especially when it comes to music.

This is how I form opinions on songs:


Sampling
There are two types of sampling: first sampling and full sampling. Both essentially give the same first impression, the difference coming down to timing and nature of the sampling (first: usually small radio rips, minute samples from tie-ups etc.; full: PV rips, leaked releases). In both cases, they do not constitute a definitive opinion, just an impression of how I think I might like it or not. A taste of what to expect, so as not to surprise myself later down the track.

2 week breeding period
Every song that enters my (iTunes) music library goes through an initial 2 week burn-in in full, at the highest possible quality where possible. This allows me time to get used to the nuances and nature of the song much more than based on a quick couple of listens. From there, I make a more solid opinion as to the song. Often, it can be significantly in contrast to (or not that much different on the other hand) to my first impression. For example:

  • SKE48 "Aishiteraburu": First impressions - decent, but middling. First opinion - great. So much so, that long-term, it's now 5-starred on my iTunes. 
  • NMB48 "Nagiichi": First impressions - bland and derivative. First opinion - yeah, it's pretty good depending on mood/context. 
  • Same can be generally said with (e.g.) Virginity, Kazanbai, Sweet & Bitter and quite a lot of other songs. Historically speaking, they tend to be more positive than on first impression, but that is not always the case (e.g. Fruits Snow).


General listening
A general term used to describe my daily listening habits. After an extended period of time, I come to a far better understanding of the song in question, in which my opinion of it either remains the same, or I give a more favorable perspective of it.

I do not expect my thinking process here to be anything radical - in fact, I don't see this being any different to how other people form their opinions on songs.

Having said, I do apologise to all those affected for my possibly over-reactive behaviour. However, I absolutely do not apologise for my impressions/opinions at whatever stage of the process I am at.

No comments:

Post a Comment